Italian Club 1937, The Nelson Provincial Museum, Kingsford Collection 158636/6
From the 1890s chain migration from Southern Italy to the area of Nelson known as The Wood, where a strong community was established, centered around family and tomato gardens. These strong bonds of family values, hard work and co-operation lead in –
1931 – to the Club Italia being formed and registered.
1939-1945 – Forced to suspend its activities during the Second World War as advised by the Enemy Alien Office,
1950s until now In the fifties decade Club Italia was able to purchase its Club rooms at 9 Trafalgar Street, converting the house to a club-rooms where it still operates from today, having adapted to the needs and interests of its members over the years, it now flourishes under the guidance of the third and fourth generation of the original immigrants, newly arrived Italians and all those who are interested and hold dear all things ITALIAN!!
PRESIDENT Francis Miccio
SECRETARY AND TREASURER Vicki Charles
VICE PRESIDENT Salvatore Gargiulo
COMMITTEE MEMBERS Linda Parker, Cristina Mitchell, Giovanni Persico, Claudia Valle, Dino Gargiulo,
Cherif El Bakkali, Carolyn Campbell, Holly De Cesare